Meadowfoam seed oil is a seed oil, extracted from the seeds of Limnanthes alba (meadowfoam). The seeds contain 20-30% oil. Meadowfoam seed oil is extraordinarily stable, primarily because it contains over 98% long-chain fatty acids.
Meadowfoam oil is most similar to rapeseed oil, with which it competes directly for the high-volume industrial oilseed applications. Meadowfoam oil is widely used in cosmetic and hair-care applications due to its stability, emollience, and smooth, soft skin feel. The oil in its unpurified form is not suitable for human consumption, primarily because of its erucic acid content.
Benefits of Meadowfoam Seed Oil
- RETAINS MOISTURE. The unique, high-quality and long-chain fatty acids deep within the oil are ideal for providing moisture without leaving a greasy feeling. They are also the reason why the oil is not absorbed by the hair but instead forms a protective coating around it, in turn helping your hair retain its moisture.
- MAKES HAIR SILKY AND SMOOTH. Meadowfoam repairs damaged tresses by sticking to hair shafts, and reduces frizz while providing a natural shine.
- REJUVENATES THE SKIN. With its high vitamin E content, meadowfoam can rejuvenate skin by tackling degradation and allowing beneficial nutrients to enter deep into the epidermis.
- PROTECTS THE SKIN. As an antioxidant, meadowfoam protects your skin against cellular damage. Myristic acid contained in the oil is anti-inflammatory and soothes irritated skin.
- DOESN’T BLOCK PORES. Despite being rich in essential fatty acids, the oil is light and non-greasy. It resembles sebum, the oil secreted by skin, and balances the skin’s natural sebum production, meaning that it’s perfect for keeping your face in that sweet spot between too dry or excessively oily. This allows it to heal acne while being mild enough even for the most sensitive of skins.
- PROTECTS YOUR HAIR FROM THE SUN. Need protection against the harsh rays of the sun? Meadowfoam oil will do the trick.
- RESISTANT TO OXIDATION. By evading the corrosive actions of oxidation, meadowfoam seed oil will help your hair keep its color for longer. That’s some money you can save on hair coloring treatments!